Monday 31 October 2011

20th October 2011

I have started looking at music magazines currently on the market. I have found a new magazine titled 'We Love Pop.' Which has only just launched this summer and is currently on its fourth issue.

  I bought the magazine to have a look at it to analyse. Despite being a fan of pop music and the people who feature the on the covers of this magazine, I felt embarrassed going up to the counter to buy it because of the female appearance of the magazine. This again made me think that there should be pop magazine which appeals to men also.
  This magazine appears to be aimed not only at women but at a younger audience of teenagers. This is suggested from the playful masthead the use of a heart instead of the word 'love' itself. The bold colour schemes of the magazine also appeal to younger girls along with teasers such as 'breakfast with bieber (in his boxers) nom nom' and 'plus a ton of reem boys - JLS, One Direction...' will appeal to young girls.
  Despite being a fan of the music of artists featured on this magazine cover, the 'text talk' language used in the plugs and the clear appearance of a female gossip magazine would put me off buying it.

  Having read the articles within the magazine I have found that the majority of them are extremely short. I found myself thinking 'Is that the end of the article?' as many didn't even manage a couple of paragraphs. Even the cover girl, Tulisa's article only had two pages worth of an interview. This shows that the magazine is aimed at a younger audience perhaps with a shorter attention span. The questions asked only touch slightly on her music career but are more based towards X Factor gossip, for example 'Do you keep snacks under the desk?' and 'Have you been flirting with Gary Barlow?'. Despite being a fan of the X Factor these aren't really thigs that I'm particularly interested in knowing and but would like to hear more about what she's doing with her solo album etc.
  This has made me decide that I would definatly like my magazine to contain some lengthy articles you can 'get your teeth into' which are more about the music instead of the gossip.
  Despite not being a particular fan of this magazine, there are some factors of it which I think would be good for mine. I am particularly fond of how the colour scheme of the magazine changes with each issue. Also I like how the colour of the masthead title matches the lead article, to show it is more important and stands out. However, I think that the other plugs should be in a different colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment